Texas Unclaimed Property

How to Search for Unclaimed Funds & Texas Property!

  • Bank accounts
  • Insurance proceeds
  • Stocks, bonds and mutual funds
  • Safe deposit box contents
  • Utility and phone company deposits
  • Uncashed checks, such as payroll, insurance payments, or travelers checks
  • Customer/patient credits

File Your Claim Today!

What is Texas Unclaimed Property?

Since 1963, Texas has required institutions, businesses and governmental entities to report to the state any personal property that has been unclaimed for up to five years, depending on the property in question.

Unclaimed property can be abandoned assets. Some examples:

  • dividend, payroll or cashier’s checks
  • stocks, bonds or mutual fund accounts
  • utility deposits and other refunds
  • bank accounts and safe deposit box contents
  • insurance proceeds
  • mineral interest or royalty payments
  • court deposits, trust funds or escrow accounts
  • overpayments on insurance, utilities and other bills

Unclaimed property does not include real estate or vehicles.

There is no statute of limitations for unclaimed property. Funds reported will remain here indefinitely until returned to their rightful owner.

The Texas Comptroller has authority to manage the State of Texas Unclaimed Property Program under Title 6 of the Texas Property Code (opens in a new tab).

A company has informed me that they ‘escheated’ my funds to the state. What does that mean?

Companies often use the term “escheat” when they have transferred abandoned funds to the state. The company has simply “reported” those funds. The state holds those funds until the rightful owner comes forward and is able to prove ownership.

Escheat should only be used for a “true escheat.” Escheatment of property is rare and only done by governmental entities. If you have further questions, please contact our office.

Should I work with a company that has contacted me about my Texas unclaimed property, or can I work directly with you?

You may contact our office to conduct a search for property in your name. If we locate any funds, we can also assist you in beginning the claims process. You may also use our search form to and our Research department will conduct a search for you.

You do not have to sign a contract with a private company to claim your money.

Heir finders or asset recovery companies must be licensed by the Texas Department of Public Safety, Private Security Bureau. Their fees cannot be more than 10 percent of the value of the abandoned property recovered, including all expenses incurred.

Do you charge for this service?


How can I prevent my assets from becoming unclaimed property?
  • Keep accurate financial records.
    You may want to keep a copy of statements for all of your accounts and policies in a secured location.

  • Always open correspondence from financial institutions.
    Your bank may be notifying you that they are closing your account. All accounts are subject to abandonment laws.

  • Check on all of your open bank accounts.
    Make a manual transaction at least once a year. Auto-draft and interest payments are not considered manual transactions.

  • Cash or deposit checks as soon as possible.
    All checks expire, even when there is no printed expiration date.

  • When you move:

    • Contact your financial institutions directly about any change of address; most do not forward mail.

    • Update your address with any company with which you have regular business dealings, including those issuing mineral interest and/or dividend checks.

  • If you leave a job:

    • Confirm that your employer has your current address for any additional payroll or reimbursement checks.

    • Make sure you have information on how to collect any benefits or future pension payments.

  • Keep a current list of all these financial accounts:

  • List all of your assets in your estate.

  • Make sure your beneficiary information is up to date, including insurance policies.