Washington Unclaimed Property

Start Your Search Now!

Washington Unclaimed Property

What is unclaimed property?

Unclaimed property means monetary assets or tangible property held by an organization that has lost contact with the owner for an extended period. It does not include real estate, vehicles, and most other physical property..

Unclaimed property refers to property being held by an organization that has not had contact with the owner for an extended period of time. Property is usually considered unclaimed after three years, when it is turned over to the state of Washington. Banks, retailers, credit unions, utilities, corporations, insurance companies, and governmental entities are some of the many sources of unclaimed property.

The Department of Revenue is the custodian for unclaimed property, and it administers an unclaimed property program to seek the rightful owners.

Washington Unclaimed Property Typical unclaimed property includes:

Unclaimed property does not include real estate, vehicles, and most other physical property.

How to File a Claim

We now offer electronic filing! This is a faster, easier way to claim your property.

All you need to do is:

  1. Search our online unclaimed property database.
  2. If you find a claim that belongs to you, click the Pursue Claim button and follow the instructions on the screen.

You can also mail your claim. Simply follow steps 1 and 2 above, choose the mail in option from the Provide Proof page and print the claim voucher. The voucher will tell you what items we need to prove your claim. Make copies of the items listed and mail to our office. Be sure to write the claim number on each page.

Options for sending your proof electronically:

If you do not have a scanner, you may use a digital camera to take a picture of your documents and attach the pictures. The following are accepted file types: .jpg, .xls, .doc, .pdf, .tif, .txt, .png, and .gif.

Washington Unclaimed Property Additional Requirements

You may be asked to provide proof of photo id or address. Here are some examples of items you can use:

  • Photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, or other legal photo identification.
  • Proof of address. This can be anything that shows your name and the address listed with the claim such as:
    • auto registration
    • school transcript or report card
    • marriage certificate
    • utility statement
    • bank statements
    • court documents
    • a postmarked envelope addressed to you

Note: If there is more than one owner on the claim, all must provide proof listed.

  • If you are claiming property on behalf of a legal owner who is living but unable to file, you need certified documents proving your authority. (e.g. Power of Attorney, guardianship letters, etc.) If the owner is a minor, you need a copy of their birth certificate.
  • If your name has changed from what is listed with the claim, you need proof of the name change.
  • If the claim is for a cashier’s check, you will need to provide the original check.

For All Claims

If you cannot provide the required documentation, send us an e-mail explaining why you are entitled to claim the property.

Please allow up to 60 days for your claim to be processed. Claims involving stock or mutual funds take longer.


To claim property on behalf of a business, you must provide a completed Business AffidavitNOTE: if the business is closed do not use the Business Affidavit, instead provide a copy of a IRS Schedule K-1 which lists the shareholders and their ownership.

Ready to Search for Unclaimed Property?
Go to our online database, and follow the easy instructions. If you find your name you will be asked to create a login id. You will be asked for some information but don’t worry, you’re in a secure site.

Additional Information if the Owner is Deceased
If the original owner is deceased, you need a copy of the death certificate and one of the following:

  • If the estate is currently in probate, a copy of the certified Letter of Administration or Letters of Testamentary
  • If the estate was probated but the estate has been closed, a copy of the certified will. The heirs named in the will should file the claim. Provide the addresses for all heirs listed, or if you are claiming for the heirs, you need a notarized written disclaimer giving permission to claim on their behalf
  • If the estate was not probated but the deceased has a will, a copy of the will and a completed Affidavit of Successor form
  • If the deceased did not have a will and you are a legal heir, you may claim on behalf of all heirs by completing an Affidavit of Successor. All heirs must be notified of your intent.
  • If the deceased was not a resident of Washington and did not have a will or left a will that was not probated, you may claim by providing a copy of the will and completing a Small Estate Affidavit for Nonresident Decedents.